(I’m updating this because I forgot to include a rather crucial character!)
It’s now less than two months until the planned release date of my YA novel Other People’s Butterflies. I’m more or less done with editing and you know what? I still don’t hate this book! Usually, editing has me shaking my head and muttering “Who wrote this shit? Oh, right.” But despite my insecurities, I’m really excited to get this novel out into the world.
This is partly thanks to my excellent editor, who was kind enough to point out things he likes as well as things that need fixing. But it’s partly because I just love these characters. Maybe it’s big-headed to say that, because I created them, but I can’t help it. I have a lot of affection for them and I want readers to meet them.
So I’m doing a quick post to introduce my main characters, and I also want to hear about yours. Who are the star players in your WIP? What makes them loveable, hateable, or love-to-hateable? Introduce them in the comments!
Gwen (the protagonist)
- Easily bored
- Wants to understand everything
- Understands very little
- Makes questionable decisions
- Aro-ace as hell, but doesn’t know aro-ace is a thing
Martine (Gwen’s bestie)
- Always smiling (it’s a defence mechanism)
- Will read every historical romance ever written
- A dreamer
Angie (also Gwen’s bestie)
- A tomboy
- Won’t wear clothes without pockets
- Pockets are always full of sweets and/or condoms
- Good at sports
Ethan (a childhood friend who reappears and complicates everything)
- Total nerd. Owns it.
- Seventeen, and owns more toys and games than most seven-year-olds
- Speaks slowly, which makes some people think he is stupid
- Definitely not stupid
- Wants to be “more than friends”
Lana Barrington (Gwen’s girl-crush)
- Fictional (I know they’re all fictional, but she is extra fictional)
- Badass spy
- Very glam
- Good people skills
- Doesn’t like people